Saturday, March 22, 2014


 " 'What are we all still living for? We're damned! If I fell ill now, there isn't a soul would bother about me.' An all-pervading fear crept over me. 'I don't want to die, I don't want to die!' At a complete loss, I put my head in my hands. 'The pinnacle of creation!' - It was my despair speaking. - 'Two legs, tubes of bone, bear my whole world, a world of pain and delusion. The worst part is the body.' The fear of death sent a shudder through me. 'What lies in store for my body? All its thousand organs, into what cunning instruments of torture will they be transformed? Oh, if I could only stop thinking, but that functions automatically. There are no certainties that are not countered by uncertainties! It's an endless labyrinth, and I'm damned! My belly is filled with ordure and disgust, and whenever I do manage to feel something passionately I immediately lose my nerve. There is just one thing I do know: however much I wriggle and squirm, minute by minute I am coming closer to the inevitable, closer to death, and there is nothing I can do about it. I haven't even the courage to kill myself. Lasting unhappiness is my destiny.' I sighed." - Alfred Kubin, The Other Side

No comments:

Post a Comment